Activities & Resources
Dekalb History Center050in Decatur, GA 30030
about Dekalb History Center:
The Museum tour is available by reservation.
The Swanton House, circa 1825, is the oldest building in Decatur and is included on the National Register of Historic Places. The house gets its name from Benjamin Franklin Swanton, who came to Decatur by way of Dahlonega and the Gold Rush of 1828.
The Biffle Cabin, built between 1825 and 1840, was originally located on a knoll overlooking Barbashela Creek. This cabin was built by Revolutionary War veteran John Biffle, who was a native of Germany. The Thomas-Barber Cabin, which once served as a stagecoach stop on the Old McDonough Road in South DeKalb, was built by Hayden Thomas and his wife Sarah Margaret Staples Thomas, who moved here from South Carolina.