The 405-seat art moderne movie house, named after the street on which it sits, opened in 1941. Over the decades, the Penn
continued to be a center of entertainment for downtown Plymouth
until its sudden closure in 2004. In January 2006, it was purchased by a group that calls itself Friends of the Penn, which is made up of local business leaders.